Benefits of DESMOND
The DESMOND program has been proven to deliver results. As part of the journey to introduce DESMOND to Australia, Diabetes WA conducted pilot studies that evaluated the efficacy of this program.
A 2011 study revealed the DESMOND program led to very real benefits for participants, in terms of their attitude towards self-management, their lifestyle choices and their medical results. The study examined responses from DESMOND participants before the program, one month after the program and six months after the program.
When compared to the pre-program responses, the responses one month after the program indicated DESMOND participants were more likely to:
- view type 2 diabetes as a serious chronic condition they would have for the rest of their lives
- recognise there are serious consequences of poorly managed diabetes
- reduce their consumption of fatty foods
- increase their physical activity levels (average daily activity, average leisure time activity and number of days per week they engaged in physical activity)
- show a reduction in their blood pressure.
Responses six months after the program demonstrated a trend toward lower HbA1c and cholesterol.
Davies MJ, Heller S, Skinner TC et al. Effectiveness of the DESMOND programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ. Published online 14 Feb 2008.
Gillett M, Dallosso HM, Dixon S et al. Delivering the DESMOND programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cost effectiveness analysis. BMJ 2010; 341: c4093