Programs and Services
DAFNE (type 1)
Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE) is a group program designed for adults with type 1 diabetes.
DAFNE equips participants with strategies to self-manage their insulin doses, exercise, illness and alcohol intake more safely.
The program has demonstrated benefits for participants in both Australian and the UK. Results shown that DAFNE participants have:
- improved HbA1c
- reduced occurrence of severe hypoglycaemia
- increased dietary freedom
- improved quality of life.
What does it involve?
The program covers such topics as carbohydrate estimation, insulin dose adjustment, blood glucose level (BGL) monitoring, hypoglycaemia, illness and exercise.
The program involves attending a five day course under the supervision of a trained diabetes educator. You will need time off work to participate in this course – Diabetes WA can provide a letter of explanation for your employer if required.
Who can attend?
To be eligible participants must:
- have had type 1 diabetes for more than six months
- be at least 18 years old
- not be on an insulin pump
- be willing to inject, test and record BGLs at least four to five times per day
- be able to attend all five days of the program from 9am to 5pm
- be motivated to learn and trial new insulin adjustment strategies and improve diabetes management.