The NDSS gives you access to a large range of subsidised products that will help you affordably self-manage your diabetes. You don’t need a prescription to purchase products through the NDSS.
These products include:
- subsidised blood glucose testing strips (limit of six month supply for people with type 2 diabetes not using insulin)
- subsidised urine testing strips
- free insulin syringes and pen needles (if you require insulin or an approved non-insulin injectable medication)
- subsidised insulin pump consumables for eligible registrants.
State and territory governments have agreed to cover the co-payments for insulin needles or syringes purchased through the NDSS in their jurisdiction. This effectively means the needles and syringes are free to eligible people registered on the NDSS.
Medications (including insulin) are not available through the NDSS, you can only obtain these through your doctor.
NDSS products are for personal use only and may not be resold or distributed.
You can get a further discount on some NDSS products if you hold one of the following concession cards:
- Health Care card
- Pensioner concession card
- Safety Net card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.